Healthy Schools Campaign (HSC), a national nonprofit organization based in Chicago, is seeking a part-time bookkeeper to help further its mission of making schools healthier places for all children. HSC has an annual operating budget of $1.9 million with 17 staff.
The bookkeeper will provide bookkeeping and accounting functions including but not limited to processing payroll bi-weekly, financial record keeping, and transactions including A/P, A/R, monthly billing, and general ledger. The bookkeeper will report to the Director of Accounting and Administration.
- Assist the Director of Accounting and Administration with the day to day, monthly, and year-end operations of the accounting department
- Perform the processing and recording of accounts payable transactions through third-party online platform and ensure that all invoices and staff reimbursements are paid accurately and in accordance with the policies and procedures of the accounting department
- Process payroll through third-party online platform, prepare journal entries and related activity including but not limited to calculating and setting up retirement fund obligation in A/P, track and reconcile vacation and sick leave for employees, performing semi-annual verification of certain employee benefits, and administering our transit benefit program
- Perform the processing of expense allocations, monthly accruals, amortization of prepaid expenses, fixed assets depreciation and recording of adjusting and reclassification journal entries, if necessary
- Perform general account review and analysis on a monthly basis.
- Generate financial reports such as monthly financial statements, budget variance reports per program and department and other requested reports for the President and CEO, Director of Accounting and Administration, and/or staff
- Perform bank reconciliations
- Perform annual 1099 reporting process for vendors
- Assist with yearly accounting activities such as the annual audit process with external auditors, the organization’s federal (Form 990 and schedules) and state tax returns, annual budgeting process, and other functions as deemed necessary
- Maintain accounting procedures and policies and systems of internal controls to ensure the integrity of all financial systems
- Minimum of an Associate’s degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience, as well as knowledge of bookkeeping and generally accepted accounting principles
- 2-3 years of full charge bookkeeping experience
- Extensive knowledge and experience with QuickBooks Online, Excel and Google products; a working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite
- Good organizational skills, strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Clear communication skills and ability to take direction
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- A commitment to Healthy Schools Campaign’s mission and values
Applicants must have a functioning home office space for effective virtual work. The HSC office is currently closed at least through the summer of 2021. HSC offices are located in Chicago, being based in or near Chicago is preferred. This position is half time (20 hours per week) and requires a consistent weekly schedule, including availability to process the bi-weekly payroll on Mondays and Tuesdays.
Salary range is $18.00-$20.00 per hour based on experience. Benefit package includes paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, and a 6% employer matching contribution to a retirement plan after one year of employment.
HSC is committed to equal opportunity and nondiscrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability or veteran status. HSC strongly encourages Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC), women, LGBTQIA+ people and members of other marginalized communities to apply.
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please put your full name in the subject line.