Healthy Schools Campaign (HSC), a national nonprofit organization based in Chicago, is seeking a communications coordinator to help further its mission of making schools healthier places for all children. The communications coordinator will be an integral part of HSC’s communications team and support HSC’s programs, advocacy and fundraising. The communications coordinator will support the communications team through project management and production of website updates, email campaigns, blog posts, digital reports, event materials and social media content. A strong sense of visual design, strong writing and editing skills, and a high attention to detail is required.
HSC advocates for policies and programs that support schools in creating the conditions of health for all students. HSC’s key strategies are to empower school stakeholders to be agents of change at the school and district levels, advocate for district, state and federal policies and build the capacity of schools, school districts and educational agencies to better support student health. This work takes place at the intersection of health, education, equity, community and sustainability.
HSC produces a robust set of reports, policy briefs, action alerts, articles and newsletters on an annual basis. The size and scope of its publications, especially on the topic of school health services, is substantial relative to other nonprofit organizations of a similar size.
This position will report to the communications director.
- Create visual assets (e.g., designing infographics, choosing, editing and sizing photos and logo files) to accompany website, documents, presentations, posts and email campaigns.
- Use templates to create flyers, reports, event materials and other materials. Create new templates when necessary.
- Provide a quality check and final proof of web content, documents, posts and email campaigns according to the HSC style guide.
- Ensure presentations and materials for events and webinars align with the HSC style guide and presentation templates.
- Project manage, create and send emails and newsletters in Mailchimp.
- Work collaboratively on projects with printers, photographers, videographers, designers, illustrators, and other outside vendors..
- Work collaboratively on HSC website and other website backend updates with outside developer.
- Create webinar events in GoToWebinar, provide team support during practice sessions and manage the broadcast during the live event.
- Support development and implementation of successful in-person events including set up, overseeing tech for event programs and providing photography.
- Identify virtual event content and technical support strategies such as interview coordination and video recording and editing.
- Coordinate document language translation.
- Post blogs, events and resources on the website. Manage website content updates, including to program and issue pages as well as managing the rotating homepage feature.
- Curate, schedule and post on social media platforms Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
- Create forms in Form Assembly, link to Salesforce and embed on websites.
- Track monthly metric updates. Provide analytics reports.
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills. High attention to detail required.
- Strong organizational and project management skills. Ability to prioritize tasks and manage concurrent assignments under tight deadlines.
- Advanced proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
- Experience with content management systems, proficiency in WordPress.
- Experience using email marketing software, proficiency in Mailchimp preferred.
- Experience managing social media accounts in a professional setting preferred.
- Proficient at using Gmail, Google Docs, Google Slides, Microsoft Office and PowerPoint in a professional setting.
- Experience with photography and video editing preferred.
- 2-3 years post-college work experience required.
- A commitment to Healthy Schools Campaign’s mission and values.
- The communications coordinator must be based in or near Chicago where the HSC office is located; the HSC office is currently closed so applicants must have a functioning home-office space for effective virtual work through all or most of 2021.
- This position will require the communications coordinator to work some evenings and weekends.
- This position requires some lifting for meeting and event setup. Candidates should be comfortable lifting at least 25 pounds.
- Candidates must be willing to submit to background checks.
The salary range is $40,000-$45,000 and dependent upon experience. Generous benefit package includes medical, dental and disability insurance, a 6% employer matching contribution to a retirement plan after one year of employment and paid vacation and sick leave.
HSC is committed to equal opportunity and nondiscrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability or veteran status. HSC strongly encourages Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC), women, LGBTQIA+ people and members of other marginalized communities to apply.
Please email your resume, cover letter, two references and design work sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put your full name in the subject line.
- Share an experience in which your attention to detail and thoroughness had an impact on your last company.
- Provide a time when you worked in a rapidly evolving workplace. How did you deal with the change?
- Describe your role in the design project you included and why you would like to highlight it. How did you collaborate with colleagues (e.g., copywriters, designers, project managers)?
No phone calls, please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.