Healthy Schools Campaign (HSC) is a national nonprofit organization based in Chicago that works to make schools healthier places for all children. HSC believes that every child should have a chance to learn and thrive, and advocates for policies and practices that support health and learning, including nutritious food, physical activity, health services and clean air at school. HSC focuses on issues affecting students of color and those from under-invested communities, and strives to make equity part of the public dialogue about education and health.
HSC’s key strategies are to empower school stakeholders to be agents of change at the school and district levels, advocate for district, state and federal policies and build the capacity of schools, school districts and educational agencies to better support student health. HSC works with parents, teachers and principals in Chicago Public Schools, and uses the lessons learned from that work to advocate for key policy and practice changes. This work takes place at the intersection of health, education, equity, community and sustainability.
HSC produces a robust set of reports, policy briefs, action alerts, articles and newsletters on an annual basis that keep our stakeholders informed and engaged. HSC has a $2 million budget and a staff team of 16.
Position Opportunity and Description
HSC is seeking a full-time Communications Manager who will be an integral part of the communications team and provide direction through project management and production of website updates, email campaigns, blog posts, digital reports, event materials and social media content. A strong sense of visual design, strong writing and editing skills, and a high attention to detail is required.
This position reports to the Communications Director. Specific responsibilities include:
Asset Development and Review
- Create visual assets (e.g., designing infographics, choosing, editing and sizing photos and logo files) to accompany website, documents, presentations, posts and email campaigns.
- Use templates to create flyers, reports, event materials and other materials. Create new templates when necessary.
- Provide a quality check and final proof of web content, documents, posts and email campaigns according to the HSC style guide.
- Ensure presentations and materials for events and webinars align with the HSC style guide and presentation templates.
Project and Event Logistics Management
- Project manage, create and send emails and newsletters in Mailchimp.
- Work collaboratively on projects with printers, photographers, videographers, designers, illustrators and other outside vendors.
- Work collaboratively on HSC website and other website backend updates with outside developer.
- Create webinar events in GoToWebinar, provide team support during practice sessions and manage the broadcast during the live event.
- Support development and implementation of successful in-person events including set up, overseeing tech for event programs and providing photography.
- Identify virtual event content and technical support strategies such as interview coordination and video recording and editing.
- Coordinate document language translation.
Social Media and Website Content Development and Curation
- Post blogs, events and resources on the website. Manage website content updates, including to program and issue pages as well as managing the rotating homepage feature.
- Curate, schedule and post on social media platforms Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
- Create forms in Form Assembly, link to Salesforce and embed on websites.
- Track monthly metric updates. Provide analytics reports.
- A commitment to Healthy Schools Campaign’s mission and values.
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills. High attention to detail required.
- Strong organizational and project management skills. Ability to prioritize tasks and manage concurrent assignments under tight deadlines.
- Strong professional experience working with Content Management System (preferably WordPress) functionality and experience using a CMS to author, edit and maintain a public facing website required.
- Advanced proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
- Experience using email marketing software, proficiency in Mailchimp preferred.
- Experience managing social media accounts in a professional setting.
- Proficient at using Gmail, Google Docs, Google Slides, Microsoft Office and PowerPoint in a professional setting.
- 5+ years relevant experience required.
- The Communications Manager must be based in or near Chicago where the HSC office is located; the HSC office is currently closed so applicants must have a functioning home-office space for effective virtual work through all or most of 2021.
- This position will require the Communications Manager to work some evenings and weekends.
- This position requires some lifting for meeting and event setup. Candidates should be comfortable lifting at least 25 pounds.
- Candidates must be willing to submit to background checks.
The salary range is $45,000-$53,000 and dependent upon experience. Generous benefit package includes medical, dental and disability insurance, a 6% employer matching contribution to a retirement plan after one year of employment and paid vacation and sick leave.
HSC is committed to equal opportunity and nondiscrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability or veteran status. HSC strongly encourages Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC), women, LGBTQIA+ people and members of other marginalized communities to apply.
Please respond to this opportunity by May 14 with the following documents and send to communications-manager@healthyschoolscampaign. Please put your full name in the subject line.
- Resume and cover letter
- Sample project (website, email campaign, infographic, etc.) that you designed and a description of how you collaborated with colleagues (e.g., copywriters, designers, project managers)
No phone calls please. Applications will be accepted until 11:59 pm on May 21, 2021.