Congratulations to our Winning Cooking up Change Team!
November 12, 2012 | Written By: Healthy Schools Campaign
Today we're thrilled to announce the winner of Chicago's Cooking up Change 2012 competition.
Congratulations to Washington High School!
- Culinary Students: Leonard Gutierrez, Marina Nava, Karen Rivera, and Leon Sanchez
- Culinary Instructors: Olanike Braimoh and Tai Sellers
- Mentor: Terri Lamont, Greater Chicago Food Depository
Students tackled a difficult challenge — creating a meal that both pleased their peers and met USDA standards for price and nutrition. Despite the obstacles, they were able to create an incredible lunch.
Their winning meal:
- Chicken Rancheros (Seasoned chicken on tostadas topped with cheese and cilantro)
- Elotes Washington (corn on the cob brushed with cayenne and parmesan cheese)
- Fruta de Tropico (mixed fruit with yogurt and cinnamon)
The Washington High School team will go on to represent Chicago in the Cooking up Change national finals in May 2013!
Kudos to all the teams who competed in this year's Chicago competition! Tremendous thanks to the judges, team mentors, culinary instructors, sponsors and leadership whose support makes Cooking up Change possible!
Check back soon for more about the rest of the competition!