Friday Recipe: Homemade Fruit Leather
July 27, 2012 | Written By: Healthy Schools Campaign
by Lana Buseman
This recipe makes one of my favorite snacks, and it could not be easier to make. It's perfect to bring along on kid-friendly summer activities like hikes or trips to the beach!
It only calls for two ingredients: strawberries and cinnamon. Strawberries are packed with antioxidants and are an easy way to add a “red food” to your diet. They also contain lots of belly-filling fiber. Cinnamon may lower bad cholesterol (LDL) with just a ½ teaspoon a day. The two ingredients are sweet enough on their own that this snack doesn’t need any added sugar!
- 2 ½ cups organic strawberries*
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Turn your oven on to the lowest temperature.
- Puree strawberries and cinnamon until liquefied.
- Pour the strawberry puree onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Allow mixture to “dry” in the oven for about two hours. (Times may vary by oven).
- When the leather has cooled, slice or break it into pieces and store in a glass jar in the refrigerator.
*This recipe would be good with any other berry you prefer. Or try a blend of a few different berries!