Friday Recipe: Homemade Fruit Leather
July 27, 2012
by Lana Buseman
This recipe makes one of my favorite snacks, and it could not be easier to make. It's perfect to bring along on kid-friendly summer activities like hikes or trips to the beach!
It only calls for two ingredients: strawberries and cinnamon. Strawberries are packed with antioxidants and are an easy way to add a “red food” to your diet. They also contain lots of belly-filling fiber. Cinnamon may lower bad cholesterol (LDL) with just a ½ teaspoon a day. The two ingredients are sweet enough on their own that this snack doesn’t need any added sugar!
- 2 ½ cups organic strawberries*
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Turn your oven on to the lowest temperature.
- Puree strawberries and cinnamon until liquefied.
- Pour the strawberry puree onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Allow mixture to “dry” in the oven for about two hours. (Times may vary by oven).
- When the leather has cooled, slice or break it into pieces and store in a glass jar in the refrigerator.
*This recipe would be good with any other berry you prefer. Or try a blend of a few different berries!