Friday Recipe: Hearty Gluten-Free Veggie Lasagna
June 01, 2012
By Lana Buseman
This recipe comes from my aunt, who has always inspired me to find my inner “gourmet.” She definitely has a knack for making food elegant in any capacity and has recently been working hard to keep her diet clean and as healthy as possible.
I love this recipe because it is full of veggies, it can easily be made gluten-free and it is just a great hearty meal. You can easily adapt it to fit your own food and diet goals. I was nervous that my version of her recipe wouldn’t turn out as great as it did when my aunt made it, but was very happy to discover that I was in fact easily able to recreate it!
It’s is a great dish for Meatless Mondays, and can be made dairy free as well. The recipe also sneaks in some extra veggies for an added bonus!
- One package of gluten free lasagna noodles (I like the ones from DeBoles, readily available at Whole Foods) or other lasagna noodles of your choice
- One carton of fat free cottage cheese (for a dairy-free recipe, substitute dairy-free cottage cheese)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 carton frozen spinach, thoroughly drained
- 2 zucchini*, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 package of shredded mozzarella (for a dairy-free version, use rice or tapioca cheese)
- 1.5 cartons of tomato sauce
- 1 package ground soy meat (or substitute additional veggies such as mushrooms if you prefer)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the soy meat and sauce together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cottage cheese, egg whites, parsley, spinach, shredded cheese, salt and pepper.
- Steam the zucchini until tender.
- Drain the frozen spinach in the sink under pressure and blot excess water.
- Add a layer of noodles (uncooked), cheese mixture and slices of zucchini.
- Add a layer of sauce and soy meat mixture.
- Add noodles again and repeat for three layers.
- The last layer should be the remaining sauce.
- Bake for 50 minutes, covered.
*This recipe would also be great with eggplant, carrots or all three veggies!