Healthy Recipe: Caribbean Crunch Salad
February 25, 2011
The Cooking up Change winning team from Richards Career Academy created a tasty and healthy school lunch that was inspired by the flavors and ingredients of the Caribbean. Their meal included Afro-Caribe Plancha, Soup of Sunshine and Caribbean Crunch Salad.
The Caribbean Crunch Salad combines fruit, vegetables and fresh herbs to create a simple but very flavorful salad that can stand alone, serve as a side dish or even be used as a salsa. (At home, try serving it with fish to make an easy, tropical addition to your meal — with few calories, few ingredients and lots of flavor!)
- 1 orange
- 1 apple
- 1 cucumber
- 1½ tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- Using a knife, cut off peel and pith of orange. Cut segments out of orange, removing as much membrane as possible. Set orange segments aside. Squeeze juice from remaining core and membrane of orange and reserve for dressing.
- Core, peel, and julienne apple.
- Cut cucumber in half. Peel and julienne one half. Save the other half for another recipe.
- Place orange, apple, cucumber, and cilantro in large bowl. Add orange juice and black pepper. Toss and serve.
Many thanks to student chefs Gerardo Garcia, Ruby Gutierrez, Claudia Ramirez and Lidia Sanchez for sharing this wonderful recipe!