Help Make 2013 the Year of Green Cleaning!
January 16, 2013 | Written By: Healthy Schools Campaign
Last year, we were thrilled to watch and support growth in our nationwide family of schools committed to green cleaning. Plus, momentum around this initiative was recognized at both the state and federal levels. So, let's make 2013 an even bigger year for green cleaning.
Here are some ideas and tips for a green start to 2013:
1) Check out our expanded, updated guide to green cleaning in schools. It's packed with ways (big and small) to move your school towards excellence in green cleaning. Read up, and get inspired!
2) Begin where you are. Do you need to gather your team to engage them in the idea of green cleaning? Or are you already on your way? Think about your progress, and then start envisioning next steps. We love the idea of using Post-It notes or a dry-erase board to create a “vision board” in a common area where all stakeholders can add their ideas.
3) Try a green cleaning webinar. HSC's webinars are designed to help you learn best practices from leaders in the field nationwide. Additional webinars on green schools have been created by the U.S. Department of Education. They're archived and free to access. No plane ticket required!
4) Stay the course. Making change takes time and dedication. Remember the words of activist Margaret Mead, who said, “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” Our five simple steps provide a basic roadmap to green your school's cleaning program.
5) Keep reading our blog's green cleaning posts. The months ahead will bring spotlights on more inspiring individuals taking steps to green their schools. We'll keep posting tips and ideas throughout the year.
Best wishes from HSC for a greener 2013!