Let it Snow and Let’s Move!
December 27, 2011
Winter break is here for students across the country. This is a great opportunity for kids (and adults too!) to go out and take full advantage of the winter wonderland. Snow or not, take advantage of the chance to burn calories that come with those holiday meals. Don’t let the cool temperatures deter you from staying fit this winter!
The Cooper Institute compiled a list of activities to celebrate the holidays, with calories burned in 30 minutes.
- Dashing through the snow = 330 calories
- Jumping for joy = 330 calories
- Sledding = 270 calories
- Chopping wood = 240 calories
- Shoveling snow = 240 calories
- Shopping for presents = 150 calories
- Decking the halls = 120 calories
- Reading holiday stories = 30 calories
The winter is filled with great family-friendly activities as well. Take advantage of the snow and ice to stay active. Fit Sugar also recommends:
- Building a snowman = 285 calories burned per hour
- Snowball fights = 319 calories burned per hour
- Snow angels = 214 calories burned per hour
- Ice skating = 408 calories burned per hour
- Ice hockey = 544 calories burned per hour
- Snowshoeing = 476 calories burned per hour
(All above calculations are based on a 150 lb. person.)
They’ve included more winter sports here.
How are you staying fit this winter?