New Years Eve Recipes: One Bite Appetizers!
December 30, 2011
Every year on December 31, my parents have all our neighbors over to play games and ring in the New Year. When you are in the middle of an intense round of Charades but want a snack, you don’t want to have to carry around a big plate of food. It’s so much easier to have something that only takes one bite to eat. I also find that simple small appetizers can create an elegant presentation even though they are actually very easy to make.
Here are some delicious and extremely easy ideas for NYE appetizers that only take about one bite to eat but still pack a major flavor punch.
Bruschetta Three Ways
- Thin baguette, sliced on a bias
- Olive tapenade, store bought or homemade
- Gorgonzola cheese and fig jam
- Goat cheese and roasted red peppers
Lightly toast your baguette slices. Top slices with the olive tapenade, Gorgonzola and fig jam or goat cheese and red peppers and serve the assortment on a pretty tray.
- Fresh endive leaves, washed
Fill the endive leaves with hummus and dust with paprika.
Italian Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1 lb button mushrooms, stems removes
- ½ pound Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1/3 cup grated pecorino Romano cheese
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
Combine last four ingredients and spoon into mushrooms. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes before serving.
Flatbread Pizza with Feta, Lemon Zest and Mint
- 1 store bought pizza dough
- Olive oil
- 1 halved garlic clove
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup grated pecorino Romano cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- Red pepper flakes
- Shape dough into a square and cut in half.
- Drizzle with olive oil and bake on a greased sheet at 450 degrees for about 10 minutes.
- Remove dough from the oven, and while still hot, rub with the garlic halves.
- Top dough with feta and pecorino and bake for 3 minutes more.
- Remove and top with mint, lemon zest and pepper. Cut into small bite sized pieces and serve!
Yogurt Lemon Dip with Shrimp
- 1 bag of cocktail shrimp, thawed
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Fresh dill, chopped,
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- Salt and pepper
Combine all ingredients except shrimp in a bowl and mix. Spoon the sauce into small serving cups and place one shrimp over the side. Serve!
Happy New Year!