Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
April 20, 2012
By Lana Buseman
Today’s recipe is for Quinoa Stuffed Peppers. I have to admit, the credit for this recipe goes to my mom, but sometimes things just taste better when your mom is cooking!
The first time my mom made this dish was also the first time I had ever seen, tasted or heard of quinoa. The stuffed peppers I had eaten in the past usually were made with ground turkey so I was fascinated to discover that what appeared to be a cous cous-like grain was actually considered a protein! In fact, quinoa has the right proportions of all nine essential amino acids to be considered a complete protein, which is more commonly found in animal products and not grains.
Because of quinoa’s protein power and the fresh, sweet flavors of the peppers, this recipe makes the perfect “Meatless _____day” dish, for any day of the week!
4 red, yellow or orange peppers, tops removed and seeded
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 28 oz can tomatoes, coarsely diced (reserve juice)
2 garlic cloves, crushed
10 oz skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Pre-heat oven to 325° F.
- Add 1 cup quinoa to 1 1/2 cups boiling water, lower heat to a simmer and cook until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Steam peppers until soft.
- In a separate pan, sauté the onion and mushrooms.
- Add the diced tomatoes (reserve the juice).
- Add the crushed garlic.
- Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Fold in the quinoa.
- Place peppers in baking dish and fill with quinoa mixture. This will take about half the mixture. Pour the remainder of the quinoa mixture and reserved juice around the peppers.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella over the peppers and bake for 30 minutes.