Recipe Friday: Hilda’s Oatmeal Cake with Berry Sauce
March 08, 2013
Hilda Cazares is not just a gifted chef — she's also an amazing role model for Healthy Schools Campaign and the parents and community leaders who are a part of what we do. You may have seen Hilda featured on our blog before, discussing how she made the move from parent leader and local school council member to running her own catering company and providing healthy meals at all Parents United for Healthy Schools events.
Last week at the Principals’ Breakfast, Hilda prepared one of her signature dishes, a delicious oatmeal cake with berry sauce. It was so good, we had to share it with all our readers. As the chef herself writes, “The natural goodness of rolled oats together with brown sugar, cinnamon and berry sauce give this cake its wonderful flavor.” We hope you enjoy Hilda’s oatmeal cake as much as we do.
Hilda’s Oatmeal Cake
For the Cake:
- 11/2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
For the Berry Sauce:
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
How to Make It:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9-inch pan, set aside.
- Combine boiling water and oats, set aside to cool.
- In a separate bowl, combine flours, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- In a mixing bowl, beat with an electric mixer on medium speed, butter, sugar, vanilla, and eggs, adding one at a time until combined.
- Add all mixtures and beat on a low speed, after each addition, just until combined.
- Pour into prepared pan, bake in a 350 oven for 40 minutes.
- Cool cake for 1 hour before serving.
- In a bowl, combine all berries.
- Blend 1 1/2 cup of berry mixture and 1 cup of water.
- Mix all together.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
Thanks again to Hilda Cazares for sharing this great recipe with us!