When Parents Unite, Great Things Happen
January 30, 2013
As the new year gets underway, parents across Chicago are coming together and developing plans for another great year of making changes to support healthy eating and physical activity in schools.
Parents United for Healthy Schools/Padres Unidos para Escuelas Saludables is HSC's coalition that brings together parents and community members to create healthy school environments for the city’s children. This coalition held one of its quarterly meetings today, looking ahead to the coming months.
Last year was a big year for Parents United.
- Jovita Flores, manager of Parents United, was honored by the White House;
- Wellness teams across the city made new strides in their schools;
- The Cook County board formally recognized Parents United;
- Parent leaders discovered new strengths and talents through Parents United
- … and much more. Read a full list of past blog posts here!
Of course, as Guillermo Gomez, HSC's vice president of urban affairs, said last year in an interview on the accomplishments of Parents United, “The formation of Parents United is still our biggest accomplishment! To bring together a group of parents who became leaders around wellness, to propose change to healthy food at the district level and then see the food change.”
Today, as Parent United members gather and look ahead, HSC honors all the dedicated parent leaders who contribute their time and talents to making positive change in our schools.
Listen to parent leader Karina Macedo tell her story, below:
Plus: Read the full interview with Jovita Flores and Guillermo Gomez about the founding of Parents United for Healthy Schools.