Winning Recipe: Kickin’ Taco from Orange County’s Student Chefs
June 30, 2014 | Written By: Healthy Schools Campaign
Cooking up Change’s 2014 first-place recipe
By challenging student chefs to create healthy and delicious school meals, Cooking up Change puts student voices front and center in the national conversation about school food. We were so proud to welcome 10 teams to this year's national finals. All teams were all winners for being there, but one team really wowed the judges with its meal. Here's a taste of that first-place recipe. From Orange County, this year's champions, comes a taco that's easy, nutritious — and definitely delicious.
Serving size: 2 tacos; serves 4
16 1-oz whole grain breaded fish sticks
8 6-inch corn tortillas
1/2 red bell pepper
2 cups shredded green cabbage
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
4 tablespoons Buffalo hot sauce
2 teaspoons lime juice
How to make it:
1) Bake fish sticks in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or until they reach 165 degrees.
2) Meanwhile, warm tortillas one at a time in a heated skillet or on a grill until lightly charred. Set aside.
3) Thinly slice carrot and bell pepper. Toss with cabbage to make slaw.
4) In a separate bowl, mix together the yogurt and Buffalo sauce. Pour over slaw and toss to coat.
5) Place two fish sticks in each tortilla. Top with slaw, lime juice and cilantro.
6) Serve and enjoy!
Thanks to Lily, Gustavo and Josue of the Orange County Cooking up Change team for sharing their winning recipe with us!