Ever wish you could try the winning dishes from Cooking up Change? Well, here’s your chance. Each month, we’ll share a Cooking up Change recipe so you can try the meal at home and taste firsthand how these students are changing the future of school food.
Healthy Schools Campaign’s Cooking up Change contest challenges high school culinary students to create a healthy and delicious school meal that can be served in a school cafeteria. Cooking up Change is not only fun and educational, but it also adds student voices to the national conversation about school food. Through Cooking up Change, these young chefs do more than sharpen their culinary skills; they develop leadership, public speaking and team building skills and create relationships and networks that will last a lifetime.
Today, we present the side dish of the menu that won second place in the 2016 Cooking up Change national finals: Healthy Slaw with Cumin-Lime Crema. The team from Santee Education Complex in Los Angeles also prepared a Chicken Quesadilla and Pineapple Downtown to round out their delicious menu. Read more about their journey to the Cooking up Change national finals.
Healthy Slaw with Cumin-Lime Crema
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- ½ small red onion
- 4 cups Romaine lettuce
- ¼ cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce
- Shred the Romaine and thinly slice the red onion.
- Combine Romaine, red onion, red cabbage and corn together in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine cumin, mayonnaise, yogurt, lime juice and Sriracha.
- Drizzle dressing over slaw and toss together to coat.
- Serve and enjoy!