Healthy Schools Campaign is seeking a Writer and Communications Specialist to support the organization’s education and health policy initiatives. This work focuses mostly on national and state-level health and education policy initiatives that help schools and districts serving low-income students of color support student health and school wellness.
This is a part-time permanent position for 50% time. Preference will be given to candidates in the Chicago area, but remote candidates will be considered.
This position is responsible for:
- Writing and editing content including resource guides, tool kits, policy briefs, action alerts, blogs, case studies, newsletters and website content for a wide range of audiences.
- Developing and implementing effective marketing plans for disseminating content and raising the visibility of HSC’s policy efforts with the public, media, policymakers and other audiences.
- Developing and supporting implementation of strategies to enhance virtual engagement with stakeholders.
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills. High attention to detail required.
- Experience developing and implementing effective marketing strategies that incorporate social media.
- Experience taking technical information and adapting it for various audiences.
- Strong organizational and project management skills. Ability to prioritize tasks and manage concurrent assignments under tight deadlines.
- Efficient and tech savvy. Able to learn new technologies quickly.
- Proficient at using Gmail, Google Docs, Google Slides, Microsoft Office and PowerPoint in a professional setting.
- Five+ years post-college work experience; experience working for nonprofit organizations preferred.
- A commitment to Healthy Schools Campaign’s mission and values.
- This position will require the Writer and Communications Specialist to work some evenings and weekends.
- Candidates must be willing to submit to background checks.
Compensation is dependent upon experience. Employees will receive a 6% employer matching contribution to a retirement plan after one year of employment and paid vacation and sick leave.
Healthy Schools Campaign, a vibrant nonprofit organization, is a leading authority on healthy school environments and a voice for people who care about our environment, our children and education. HSC advocates for health-promoting policies on the national and state levels and has a special focus on Chicago Public Schools and the district’s low-income students of color. HSC believes that all stakeholders—including teachers, students, parents, principals and school nurses—must have a voice in decisions that affect the school environment.
Healthy Schools Campaign is committed to equal opportunity and nondiscrimination in all programs and services, does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. People of color and individuals with diverse backgrounds and representing marginalized communities are encouraged to apply.
Please email your resume, cover letter and two writing samples to email@example.com. Please put your full name in the subject line. In the cover letter, please include the following information:
- Why are you interested in a permanent part-time position?
- Provide an example of how you have taken highly technical information and adapted it for various audiences.
- Provide an example of a successful marketing campaign. Be clear about your role in designing and executing the campaign.
- Compensation requirements.