Telehealth is a powerful service delivery innovation commonly used to support populations who are underserved by the healthcare industry, including those living in rural areas where providers of care may not be as accessible. However, during the current COVID-19 crisis, its use has dramatically expanded to keep people home and safe and prevent unnecessary exposure to healthcare providers.
Federal and state policymakers are rapidly adjusting policies and regulations to ensure that providers are allowed to use telehealth for appropriate services and receive Medicaid reimbursement. Many states are also looking at how Medicaid policies can be changed to ensure school-based healthcare providers are able to use telehealth to provide essential physical and mental health services to students.
Join Healthy Schools Campaign and Trust for America’s Health as we explore how states are adjusting their Medicaid programs to support the delivery of telehealth services—and what this could mean for students and for school-based healthcare providers.
- Provide background on new, federal Medicaid telehealth flexibilities
- Describe how states are making policy changes that expand telehealth services delivered through Medicaid during the COVID-19 health crisis
- Identify opportunities for expanding access to school-based telehealth services delivered through Medicaid
- Learn how Ohio has expanded Medicaid coverage of telehealth, to include school-based Medicaid providers
- Mei Wa Kwong, Executive Director, Center for Connected Health Policy
- Lesley Scott-Charlton, Medicaid School Program Administrator, Ohio Department of Medicaid
- Bernadette Laughlin, Related Services Education Program Specialist, Ohio Department of Education
- Alex Mays, Senior National Program Director, Healthy Schools Campaign
- Center for Connected Health Policy: Telehealth Coverage Policies in the Time of COVID-19
- Center for Connected Health Policy: COVID-19 Related State Actions
- Healthy Students, Promising Futures Learning Collaborative: Expanding School-Based Health Services with Telehealth