Healthy Schools Campaign (HSC), a nonprofit advocacy organization dedicated to making schools healthier places for all students, is seeking a part-time a policy associate to support the organization’s education and health policy initiatives. This work will focus primarily on national and state level health and education policy issues impacting schools and districts serving low-income students of color. The policy associate will work closely with HSC’s Senior National Program Director and Director of State Policy and Advocacy to support ongoing activities and initiatives supporting student health and school wellness.
This is a part-time permanent position for 50 percent time. Preference will be given to candidates in Chicago, IL, or Oakland, CA, but remote candidates will be considered.
- Contribute to the development of resources and tools, including fact sheets, position papers, briefing materials, newsletters, website content, reports and presentations
- Support the engagement of HSC’s network of national and state partners, including distributing information to their networks, attending events and keeping databases up to date
- Assist in organizing webinars and other events, including participant communication, speaker preparation and logistical support
- Monitor legislative and administrative policies and initiatives at the federal and state levels
- Provide assistance in research and policy analysis on issues related to HSC’s policy agenda
Qualifications and Skills
- At least two years of experience required; experience working for nonprofit organizations and/or knowledge of education or health policy preferred
- Strong writing skills with a high level of attention to detail
- Excellent organizational and project management skills. Ability to prioritize tasks and manage concurrent assignments under tight deadlines.
- Effective communication skills and the ability to engage with a variety of audiences, including technical experts, policymakers, and the general public
- Comfort and demonstrated experience using the Google and Microsoft Office Suites
- Bachelor’s degree required and Master’s degree preferred
- A commitment to HSC’s mission and values
- Candidates must be willing to submit to background checks.
- This position requires some lifting for meeting and event setup. This will include lifting and moving boxes and setting up equipment. Candidates should be comfortable lifting at least 25 pounds.
This 20 hours a week position will pay between $22,500 and $30,000 a year. Employees will receive a 6% employer matching contribution to a retirement plan after one year of employment and paid vacation and sick leave.
HSC is a vibrant independent not-for-profit organization and a leading authority on healthy school environments and an expert voice for people who care about the health and education of children. Since beginning as a local initiative in Chicago in 2002, HSC has grown into a vibrant national organization with diverse strategic partnerships and effective outreach strategies, working in step with schools, communities and policymakers. HSC advocates for policies and practices that allow all students, staff and faculty to learn and work in a healthy school environment, including those related to school health services, healthy school food, physical activity, behavioral and mental health services, trauma, environmental health and staff training and wellness. HSC engages, organizes and mobilizes constituencies to provide them with the necessary knowledge and skills to have a voice in health and wellness policy at the local, state, and national levels and works to ensure that schools have the capacity not only to support, but also to sustain, a healthy school environment.
Healthy Schools Campaign is committed to equal opportunity and nondiscrimination in all programs and services, does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. People of color and individuals with diverse backgrounds and representing marginalized communities are encouraged to apply.
Please email your resume, cover letter and two writing samples to email@example.com. Please put your full name and the job you are applying for in the subject line. In the cover letter, please explain why you are interested in a permanent part-time position with HSC and your compensation requirements.
No phone calls please.