2018 National Education Facilities Cleaning Survey
Cleaning programs are a critical part of school and university efforts to provide students and staff with the opportunity to learn and work in a place that is healthy and safe. This report dives into the reasons schools implement green cleaning, the benefits they see from implementing a green cleaning program, the most widely adopted practices and their primary cleaning and maintenance concerns.
Healthy Schools Campaign and ISSA, the worldwide cleaning industry association, surveyed schools and universities across the country to better understand what they are doing and determine the type of resources and tools schools need. We found that while almost all the schools in the survey have implemented green cleaning to some extent, their reasons, concerns and outcomes vary.
Why Green Cleaning?
From reducing carbon emissions to boosting test scores, green cleaning brings significant and tangible benefits. A well-designed green cleaning program will:
- Help students stay healthy and learn
- Protect the health of custodial staff
- Increase the lifespan of facilities
- Preserve the environment
- Save money
Read more about the benefits of green cleaning at HSC’s GreenCleanSchools.org.
Over the last decade, HSC has emerged as a leader in the green clean schools movement, encouraging and supporting schools to adopt green cleaning programs. We have:
- Shared our Quick + Easy Guide to Green Cleaning in Schools with more than 200,000 users, from school custodians to parents, nurses, district leaders and others
- Successfully advocated for green clean schools legislation in Illinois and supported legislative efforts in seven other states
- Recognized leaders and innovators with a national green cleaning awards program presented with American School & University magazine and the Green Cleaning Network
- Provided regular online educational programming for schools and industry
- Developed a network of 25 leading stakeholder organizations including many national education organizations, to educate their members about green cleaning in schools
- Supported the Green Cleaning Network as a Founding Board Member
- Engaged with policymakers to incorporate green cleaning into national education and environmental programs
- Launched the first national Green Clean Schools Leadership Summit to galvanize a community to change the way schools clean
- Convened the Green Clean Schools Leadership Council, which brings together the nation’s top school cleaning professionals to promote best practices, create mentorship opportunities and pave the way for other schools to go green.
GreenCleanSchools.org is HSC’s online home for all things green cleaning, including easy-to-access tools and resources to help you start or enhance a green cleaning program in your school. Popular resources include our 5 Steps to Green Cleaning in Schools, an annual webinar series and a directory of featured green cleaning products and services.
Learn more and find resources for your school at GreenCleanSchools.org.
We’re grateful for the generous support of our Green Clean Schools sponsors, companies that are industry leaders in the manufacture and distribution of green cleaning products and services.