Healthy Schools Campaign (HSC), a national nonprofit organization based in Chicago, is seeking a Staff Accountant to help further its mission of making schools healthier places for all children. HSC focuses on issues affecting students of color and those from under-invested communities, and strives to make equity part of the public dialogue about education and health. HSC advocates for policies and practices that support health and learning, including comprehensive health services, nutritious school food, physical activity, green schoolyards and clean air at school. HSC has a staff of 13 and an annual budget of $2.6 million.
The Staff Accountant is a key member of the Accounting and Administration team to continuously develop and refine HSC’s financial operations, while supporting a positive culture, dynamic team and strategic use of resources to enable our mission. The Staff Accountant will be responsible for providing accounting and administrative functions including, but not limited to, the month end close, bi-weekly payroll, bank reconciliations, accounts payable, accounts receivable and receipts, financial management and reporting, including grants management. This is a full-time permanent position with the option to work remotely, although a strong preference will be given to candidates in the Chicago area. The Staff Accountant will report to the Director of Accounting and Administration.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Perform all bookkeeping and accounting functions in accordance with GAAP including, but not limited to, accounts payable, accounts receivable and receipts, including invoicing, credit card donation receipts journal entries, and bank reconciliations.
- Process bi-weekly payroll through a third-party online platform, prepare journal entries and related activities including, but not limited to, tracking and reconciling vacation and sick leave for employees.
- Manage the annual 1099 reporting process for vendors.
- Working closely with the Director of Accounting and Administration on the yearly accounting activities such as the annual audit process (with external auditors), the organization’s federal (Form 990 and schedules) and state tax returns and the annual budgeting process.
- Maintaining accounting procedures and policies and systems of internal controls to ensure the integrity of all financial systems.
- Budgeting, Financial Management and Reporting
- Prepare timely and accurate financial statements and reports such as monthly financial statements, budget variance reports, and other ad-hoc financial reports, while providing critical thinking and analysis as to the accuracy of reports and variances.
- Working closely with the Director of Accounting and Administration on the annual budgeting process, including supporting the planning and usage of documents and data, entering and maintaining annual budget in QuickBooks Online and providing quarterly and monthly budgeting reports.
- Grants Financial Management
- Support the preparation of grant budget reports and grant financial tracking to ensure restricted grants are tracked in Quickbooks Online and reported in compliance with donor restrictions and GAAP.
- Manage vendor compliance from collecting W-9s and proper vendor setup in Bill.com and Quickbooks Online.
- Work with the Director of Accounting and Administration to review financial and compliance aspects of grant restrictions and vendor contracts.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree (preferably in Accounting or Finance-related field) or equivalent business experience, as well as knowledge of bookkeeping and generally accepted accounting principles.
- At least 3 years of professional accounting experience or equivalent, preferably with significant experience in non-profit accounting.
- Strong technology skills and experience using Google products and Quickbooks Online.
- Experience using Bill.com, Salesforce and Trello is preferred.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills, with strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work in a collaborative work environment.
- A commitment to HSC’s mission, vision, values and equity priorities.
- Candidates must have a functioning home office space for remote work.
- Chicago-area candidates are preferred, living in the United States is required.
- Candidates must be willing to submit to background checks.
- Staff may be required to attend occasional in-person, Chicago-based events and activities.
- This position is required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19; accommodations are provided on a case-by-case basis pursuant to individual employee situation or applicable state or local law.
The compensation range for this position is $52,000 to $60,000 annually, based on experience. Generous benefits package includes employer-paid medical, dental and disability insurance, 6% employer matching contribution to a retirement plan after one year of employment and paid vacation and sick leave.
Working at Healthy Schools Campaign
In addition to a competitive salary, benefits and the opportunity to work with a collaborative and dedicated team, there are a few more things that make HSC a wonderful place to work:
- A commitment to team building and organizational culture.
- A focus on equity and anti-racist work, both internally and externally.
- A flexible schedule that allows team members to be productive at work and focus on other priorities as well. This includes supporting and providing flexibility for new parents/caregivers.
- Individual health insurance is paid for from day one. Contribution to family coverage begins in year two. Multiple plans are offered to meet individual needs and preferences.
- A home office stipend.
- Option to work from home or the Chicago office.
- Additional days off when the office closes at the end of the year.
HSC is committed to equal opportunity and nondiscrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability or veteran status. HSC strongly encourages Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC), women, LGBTQIA+ people and members of other marginalized communities to apply.
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put your full name in the subject line.
No phone calls please. Position will remain posted until filled.