How can I fit healthy eating lessons into the day when it’s already so busy? How can my students be more active when space is limited? Where can I find easy nutrition education lessons? How can I make birthday celebrations healthier?
Healthy Schools Campaign is pleased to announce Fit to Learn, a new professional development program focused on innovative, practical approaches to making health and wellness a regular part of the classroom experience.
Through Fit to Learn, teachers will become wellness mentors, developing and sharing the skills for integrating nutrition education and fitness into classroom lessons that meet learning standards in math, reading, science, social studies, art and music.
We are currently recruiting Chicago Public Schools teachers of grades K-5 to participate in this free professional development program. Teachers, learn more and apply here. Applications must be received by Nov. 1, 2010.
What are the benefits?
Perhaps most importantly, Fit to Learn offers an opportunity to prepare students for increased academic achievement and reduced absenteeism: studies show that when kids are physically active and have a healthy school environment, learning and test scores improve. Teachers will receive CPDUs for participation.Other benefits include :
- Free resources, new lesson plans and a practical kit for creating healthier classrooms; raffles each day for curricula and resources worth hundreds of dollars
- Opportunity to focus on teaching the whole child and develop new skills
- Leadership opportunities to cultivate a culture of wellness at school
- Connections and opportunities to share ideas with other teachers who care about healthy eating, physical activity and wellness
- Becoming part of the Go for the Gold campaign and helping your school meet the high standards for food, fitness and nutrition education that First Lady Michelle Obama is challenging schools to achieve.
Of course, trainings include dinner and healthy snacks!
For details and to apply, visit www.FitToLearn.org.