Cooking up Change at Home: Chicken Gyro with Tzatziki Sauce
September 14, 2015
Ever wish you could try the winning dishes from Cooking up Change? Well, here’s your chance. Each month, we’ll share a Cooking up Change recipe so you can try the meal at home and taste firsthand how these students are changing the future of school food.
Healthy Schools Campaign’s Cooking up Change contest challenges high school culinary students to create a healthy and delicious school meal that can be served in a school cafeteria. Cooking up Change is not only fun and educational, it also adds student voices to the national conversation about school food. Through Cooking up Change, these young chefs do more than sharpen their culinary skills; they develop leadership, public speaking and team building skills and create relationships and networks that will last a lifetime.
Today, we present the main dish from Jacksonville’s local winner, a refreshing entree of sauteed chicken and peppers with a low-fat tzatziki sauce. Read more about the Jacksonville team’s path to the Cooking up Change National Finals.
Team: Hali H., Alyssa M. and Bradley P.
School: Frank H. Peterson Academies of Technology
Chicken Gyro with Tzatziki Sauce (serves four)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 14 ounces frozen, unbreaded chicken strips
- ½ cup sliced green bell pepper
- ¾ teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- 2 cups romaine lettuce
- 1 ½ cucumbers
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- 4 9-inch whole grain flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Warm skillet over medium heat; add oil, chicken, peppers and granulated garlic. Sauté until peppers are tender. Add cilantro.
- Roll up lettuce and shred into thin pieces. Set aside.
- Thinly slice cucumbers and place in medium bowl; add yogurt and pepper, and mix until completely combined.
- Place tortillas in oven until they are tender (about 30 seconds).
- Top each tortilla with lettuce, chicken and peppers, and finally the sauce, then fold the tortilla in half.
- Serve and enjoy!