Fit to Learn Professional Development Opportunities for Teachers this Summer
June 20, 2012
by Kristi Cox, HSC training and program manager
Calling all Chicago teachers! I’d like to invite you to be part of Fit to Learn, an innovative professional development program from Healthy Schools Campaign.
Teachers who have taken part in this new program have described it as “awesome,” “realistic and helpful,” and “right on track.” Participants appreciated the “many ideas that are easy to implement in a classroom setting,” “lots of great lessons,” and the opportunity to brainstorm and collaborate with other teachers who care about wellness. Thanks to an exceptional response from teachers, we’re excited to offer Fit to Learn again this summer.
Through this experience, teachers will develop and share the skills for integrating nutrition education and fitness into classroom lessons that meet Illinois Common Core Strategies in math, reading, science, social studies, art and music.
This training is open to CPS teachers of grades K-5 and is available at no cost to teachers. Teachers will receive CPDUs for participation.
WHAT: Training to integrate healthy eating and physical activity into the classroom
WHEN: 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Wednesday July 18 or Wednesday August 1
WHERE: The Center for Green Technology, 445 N. Sacramento Blvd. Chicago, IL 60612 [map]
COST: Available at no cost to teachers
APPLY: Teachers, click here to apply! Deadline for applications is July 13, 2012.
Presenting Fit to Learn resources
What are the benefits?
Perhaps most importantly, Fit to Learn offers an opportunity to prepare students for increased academic achievement and reduced absenteeism: studies show that when kids are physically active and have a healthy school environment, learning and test scores improve. Teachers will receive CPDUs for participation. Other benefits include :
- Free resources, new lesson plans and a practical kit for creating healthier classrooms; raffles each day for curricula and resources worth hundreds of dollars
- Opportunity to focus on teaching the whole child and develop new skills
- Leadership opportunities to cultivate a culture of wellness at school
- Connections and opportunities to share ideas with other teachers who care about healthy eating, physical activity and wellness
- Becoming part of the Go for the Gold campaign and help your school meet the high standards for food, fitness and nutrition education that First Lady Michelle Obama is challenging schools to achieve
Of course, trainings include both breakfast and lunch.
Plus: Check out stories from Fit to Learn alums on HSC's blog!