Five Reasons to Raise Your Voice for Healthy School Food
December 10, 2008
Today is the day we’re launching Fresh Voices for Fresh Choices, an online event with bloggers from around the country posting about school food and linking their readers to HSC’s petition urging President-elect Obama to make a healthy reauthorization of the Child Nutrition Act a priority for his administration.
Check back later this week for updates on the event and a round-up of participating blogs. In the meantime, please take a moment to sign the petition!
Why is it so important to lend your voice healthy school food right now? The reasons are countless – but here are five of them:
- Schools need more funding to serve fresh, healthy food. Federal funding covers only 82 percent of the cost of providing school meals.
- Food is getting more expensive. Funding for school food increased only 3 percent last year, while food prices rose dramatically: milk prices went up 17 percent, bread prices went up 12 percent.
- Healthy students are better learners – and good food helps kids stay healthy.
- School gardens, farm-to-school programs and honest food education give students the tools they need to make healthy choices for the rest of their lives.
- Recess! Physical education. Healthy snacks in the classroom. The Child Nutrition Act covers more than school lunch – it also covers school wellness policies and can give schools the resources they need to make physical activity and fresh, healthy eats a normal part of the school day.