Friday Recipe: Goat Cheese and Sun-Dried Tomato Rice
January 27, 2012
They say that some of your most vivid memories are of food, and I truly believe that. This recipe is from the creative mind of my mom, who has a knack for coming up with great meals out of leftover ingredients, and it is so delicious that I still remember the first time I tasted it. I had to be younger than seven years old because I remember being in my old house and her bringing me a small sample cup of slightly orange, creamy rice spotted with sun-dried tomatoes, spices and toasted pine nuts. The experiment was such a hit that she has been making it since then, sometimes substituting the rice for pasta, but always with equally delicious results.
This recipe works well with any type of grain you want to use. You can use whole-wheat pasta, brown rice, white rice, quinoa or whatever you like — it’s really all about the flavors you are adding that make this dish special. Serve as a side, or as your main meal; it’s a hit every time!
- 2 cups rice, or other preferred grain, cooked according to package
- 4 oz. goat cheese
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon garlic infused oil (key for flavor!)
- 1 small jar of sun-dried tomatoes, julienned in olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Herbes de Provence
- Pecorino cheese (optional)
- In a serving bowl, add goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic oil, pine nuts and Herbes de Provence.
- Pour rice/grain over the top of the mixture while it is still hot.
- Stir all the ingredients together until the goat cheese has completely melted and all ingredients are mixed throughout.
- Top with a sprinkle of pecorino cheese and enjoy!
Plus! Click here to see how you can make your own garlic infused oil!