Friday Recipe, Super Bowl Edition: Chicken Rancheros
January 25, 2013 | Written By: Healthy Schools Campaign
Cooking up Change culinary team from Washington High School, with HSC President and CEO Rochelle Davis
It's no secret that we're big fans of the winning Cooking up Change lunch. It wowed our judges and recently it was served in Chicago Public Schools across the city. And now's the perfect time to suggest that the winning recipe be served on your very own table! We thought it'd be a great companion to another kind of competition, which Americans all over the country will be watching next weekend: the Super Bowl! Yes, we'd rather have all of America playing an active game (Flag football! Safety first!) but we also appreciate a little healthy family time.
And how can you make that family time even more healthy? Why, serving up a dish from a Cooking up Change winning meal, of course. Here it is. Watch it disappear before halftime.
12 oz pre-cooked chicken breast strips
6 T salsa
3 T cilantro, chopped
1 tsp Cajun seasoning
1½ tsp soy sauce
1½ tsp Dijon mustard
60 tortilla chips
3 T canned jalapeño peppers, diced
3 tsp cheddar cheese, shredded
3 tsp mozzarella cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 375° F. Place chicken strips in medium-sized pot over medium-low heat. Add salsa, soy sauce, Cajun seasoning and Dijon mustard.
Stir to combine.
2. Bring chicken mixture to a low simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until flavorful and tender, about 10-15 minutes. Once mixture is fully heated, reduce heat to low.
3. Meanwhile, layer tortilla chips on an oven-proof serving dish.
4. Layer chicken mixture on top of chips, then add mozzarella and cheddar cheese.
5. Bake at 375° for 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
6. Garnish with cilantro and jalapeños.
Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Yield: 6 servings
Thanks to the students at Washington High School for sharing their recipe with us!