Advocates, National Leaders Gather for Presentation of Recommendations to Secretary Sebelius and Sec
May 10, 2012
L-R: Kathleen Sebelius, Secretary of Health and Human Services; Rochelle Davis, President and CEO of Healthy Schools Campaign; Gail Christopher, Vice President of Program Strategy for the W.K. Kellogg Foundation; Arne Duncan, Secretary of Education; Jeff Levi, Executive Director, Trust for America’s Health
Yesterday, HSC hosted a special event with Trust for America’s Health at the National Press Club to release our recommendations for improving education through wellness to Secretary of Education Arne Duncan and Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius.
We were thrilled that such a remarkable group of national leaders came together for an event focused on the idea that healthy students are better prepared to learn. In addition to HSC’s Rochelle Davis and Jeff Levi of Trust for America’s Health, speakers included:
- Gail Christopher, Vice President for Programs, W.K. Kellogg Foundation
- Helayne Jones, President and CEO, Colorado Legacy Foundation
- Melinda Landau, Manager of Health and Family Support Programs, San Jose School District
- Allison Slade, Founder and Principal, Namaste Charter School
- Dennis Van Roekel, President, National Education Association
- Randi Weingarten, President, American Federation of Teachers
- Stephanie Whyte, Chief Health Officer, Chicago Public Schools
The Health in Mind recommendations reflect a new approach to making health and wellness part of the school experience. We invite you to check out the executive summary and recommendations online. In the days ahead, we will share case studies illustrating these ideas in action.
Many thanks to the remarkable advocates and leaders who made the Health in Mind launch a success!