Media Spotlights Cooking up Change Student Chefs
June 07, 2012
Not too long ago, students from across the country gathered in our nation’s capitol to help transform the future of school food. Cooking up Change is a spectacular platform for students to join the national dialogue around healthy school meals. The student chefs were the stars of the day, at the event and in the media! Thanks to the local and national news teams that came to spotlight these talented student chefs.
Photographers capture photos of Arne Duncan’s visit with the Cooking up Change student chefs
Prior to preparing their meal, student chefs from Chicago, Denver, Jacksonville, Santa Ana, St. Louis, and Winston-Salem met with Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, who wished the students good luck.
The Cooking up Change Chicago team shared the importance of healthy cooking and eating in addressing childhood obesity with PBS Newshour:
Following the contest, the student chefs spoke at a briefing on school food with Pew Charitable Trust. Cooking up Change National co-chair Karen Duncan highlighted their leadership, creativity, and efforts to transform school food.
We’ve already shared the Santa Ana team’s excitement and hopes. Back home, they were featured in the local paper and on television. They also presented their meal with Congresswoman Loretta Sanchez and their chef mentor Katy Clark after winning the contest. The Orange County Register also blogged about their win here. Cooking Teen also focused on the winning team.
Check out some of the other exciting media features below:
- Scripps Howard Foundation Wire – “Students revamp school lunches at national competition” (5/24/2012) Coverage also appears on Infozine.
- McClatchy DC – “Students give Congress a mouthful” (5/23/12), video also available on Medill DC.
- Prevent Obesity’s blog – “”Cooking Up Change” with Student Chefs” (5/22/12)
- Sun Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale) – Hungry? (5/22/12)
- Department of Education’s “Homeroom” blog – “National Healthy Lunch Finals Held at ED” (5/22/12)
- Associated Press – “Winston-Salem students to compete for lunch title” (5/21/12) Article also appears online at Washington Examiner, The Ledger, Press Democrat, and Herald Tribune
- WFLD-TV (FOX affiliate) – “Chicago Cooking up Change Winners Exhibit Award-Winning Recipe” (5/16/12)
- James Beard Foundation’s “Delights and Prejudices” blog – “JBF Partners with Cooking up Change in the Fight for Better School Lunch” (5/15/12)
We’d also like to thank Washington D.C.’s local news service for spotlighting the contest.
Congratulations to the amazing student chefs who participated in Cooking up Change!
Bonus: Check out the Department of Education’s Flickr photos from the Cooking up Change event.