Healthy Fourth of July Recipe: Rainbow Kale Slaw
July 02, 2012
For the next few days, Healthy Schools Campaign will spotlight ways to prioritize health and wellness as we celebrate Independence Day. Check back for healthy recipes, fun tips, and cool ideas to have a healthy holiday!
The Fourth of July picnic table would not be complete without coleslaw, but the traditional version of this dish is heavy in calories without much nutritional value. You can create a healthy, vitamin-packed version with deep, leafy green kale and a few exciting additions.
Photo courtesy Whole Foods Market
Recipe adapted from Whole Foods Market
- 1 bunch kale, thick stems removed, and leaves thinly sliced
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 navel oranges, peeled and segmented
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds (optional)
- 2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine kale, cabbage, orange segments, onion, bell pepper and sunflower seeds.
- In a small bowl, make the dressing. Whisk together mustard, orange juice, balsamic vinegar, and pepper.
- Pour dressing over the kale mixture and toss to coat. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to two days.
Be sure to check back this week for more ways to incorporate health into your Independence Day celebration!