Recipe Friday: Curry Chicken from Cooking up Change Chicago 2013
November 22, 2013
The winning recipe from Cooking up Change Chicago.
Today we're proud to share a recipe created by the first-place team at Cooking up Change Chicago, Chicago Career Vocational Academy (CVCA). The team created this dish as part of its prize-winning school meal, which was served to a panel of judges and an audience of more than 700 guests at our flagship contest earlier this month.
8 chicken drumsticks
2 ½ tablespoons curry powder
2 teaspoons thyme
2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil
1 ¼ cup water
½ teaspoon chicken soup base,
1 1/3 cups baking potato, peeled
2/3 cup onions, diced
8 pieces of whole wheat
How to make it:
- Combine curry powder, thyme, Cajun seasoning and garlic powder. Rub mixture on chicken drumsticks. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Pour vegetable oil into braising pan. Cook chicken on medium heat for 10 minutes until golden brown on all sides.
- Meanwhile, combine water and soup base in a small bowl. Stir until base is dissolved and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Place chicken in a baking dish. Add potatoes, onions and soup mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake for one hour, until chicken is completely cooked, potatoes are tender and sauce is thickened.
- Serve drumsticks with flatbread on the side.
Cooking up Change puts student voices front and center in the national conversation about school food. Learn more about the all the winners of Cooking up Change Chicago!