The 2013 Green Cleaning Award: Apply Now!
August 29, 2013 | Written By: Healthy Schools Campaign
Green cleaning award: Apply now!
Applications are due September 6 for the 2013 Green Cleaning Award for Schools and Universities! This award, presented in collaboration with American School & University magazine and the Green Cleaning Network, recognizes the efforts of schools around the nation with outstanding green cleaning programs. Through national recognition, it honors schools and their partners that embrace green principles and practices in their maintenance operations.
The judging criteria for this award is based on the Five Simple Steps to Green Cleaning outlined in HSC's Quick & Easy Guide to Green Cleaning in Schools. To get you started, here’s a reminder of those five simple steps:
- Plan your green cleaning program. This includes assembling a team, developing plans and green cleaning policy and having assessment procedures in place.
- Select certified green cleaning products. There are a number of fantastic resources to help schools find green cleaning products, including ISSA’s recently-launched Transpare guide.
- Introduce green equipment and supplies. Consider appropriateness, effectiveness and usability when choosing equipment for green cleaning.
- Adopt green cleaning procedures. Green cleaning is not “one size fits all.” A school’s procedures will depend on its unique conditions and priorities.
- Share the responsibility. Everyone has a role to play in promoting a healthy school environment, from custodial staff to teachers and school administrators to the students themselves.
Winners will be profiled in a special supplement in the December issue of American School & University Magazine.
Since we at HSC began promoting green cleaning in schools, we’ve been amazed by the many schools and districts, coast to coast, from small elementary schools to large universities, that have demonstrated innovation, expertise and a commitment to health. We’re thrilled to once again highlight educational institutions with green cleaning programs that go above and beyond, protecting the health of students and staff without harming the environment.