Congrats to the 2016 School Nurse Leadership Award Winners
May 11, 2016
Today is National School Nurse Day, and it’s a great time to recognize the incredible work school nurses do every day in schools across the country. It’s also a great time to announce the winners of our third annual School Nurse Leadership Award.
And the winners are a diverse and impressive bunch. Our winners span the country from Connecticut to Texas. Their experiences include changing policy in schools and districts, involving parents in wellness efforts, building collaborative partnerships and improving mental health care in schools. These school nurses work every day on the front line to improve the health and wellness of our nation’s students.
“It’s truly an honor to recognize these 10 outstanding school nurses for their hard work and innovative approaches to improving the health and wellbeing of their students,” said Rochelle Davis, Healthy Schools Campaign president and CEO. “And while today we’re highlighting 10 individuals, the School Nurse Leadership Award is really an opportunity to recognize and thank all school nurses for the important work that they do within our schools and communities and on behalf of our children.”
School Nurse Leadership Award nominees were evaluated according to criteria which include school nurse efforts to change school health policy, to promote evidence-based practices and to work effectively with others. Final winners and honorable mentions were selected by a national panel of school health experts.
The School Nurse Leadership Award is generously sponsored and supported by School Health Corporation and MAICO Diagnostics. Winners receive a certificate of recognition and a gift card to School Health.
Over the next few weeks, we’ll be featuring the stories of many of these nurses. Congrats to all our winners and thanks to all of those who applied. Keep up the great work!
2016 School Nurse Leadership Award Winners
- Outstanding Urban School Leader: Ponzella Johnson, Harriet Tubman Elementary School, New York, N.Y.
- Outstanding Mental Health Champion: Judith Morgitan, Perkiomen Valley High School, Collegeville, Penn.
- Outstanding Policy Leader: Cathy Owens, Murrieta Valley Unified School District, Murrieta, Calif.
- Innovative Program Leader: Adele Pudner, Al and Jean’s, Inc., Plainfield Public Schools, Plainfield, N.J.
- Outstanding Food and Fitness Leader: Sherdina Williams, Garrett Morgan School, Cleveland, Ohio
2016 School Nurse Leadership Award Honorable Mentions
- Sheri Coburn, San Joaquin County Office of Education, Stockton, Calif.
- Coleen Figliuzzi, Frenchtown Elementary School, Trumbull, Conn.
- JoDe Kinnaman, South Central Unified at Lawrence/Nelson, Lawrence, Neb.
- Irene Rosales, Nye Elementary, Laredo, Tex.
- Mary Tramontozzi, Moriarty Environmental Sciences Magnet School, Norwich, Conn.