Cooking up Change at Home: Rio Chicken Wrap
March 14, 2016 | Written By: Healthy Schools Campaign
Ever wish you could try the winning dishes from Cooking up Change? Well, here’s your chance. Each month, we’ll share a Cooking up Change recipe so you can try the meal at home and taste firsthand how these students are changing the future of school food.
Healthy Schools Campaign’s Cooking up Change contest challenges high school culinary students to create a healthy and delicious school meal that can be served in a school cafeteria. Cooking up Change is not only fun and educational, it also adds student voices to the national conversation about school food. Through Cooking up Change, these young chefs do more than sharpen their culinary skills; they develop leadership, public speaking and team building skills and create relationships and networks that will last a lifetime.
Today, we present the main component of the menu that won the 2015 Cooking up Change Detroit competition: Rio Chicken Wrap. Breithaupt Career and Technical Center students Guillermo, Alondra and Jennifer traveled to Washington, D.C., and competed in the national finals. Even though they didn’t take home a prize, the team was able to share their experiences with healthy school food with their representatives in the Senate and the House.
The 2016 Cooking up Change Detroit contest takes place tomorrow, and we can’t wait to see what this year’s student chefs come up with! The winning meal will be served across Detroit Public Schools this spring. In the meantime, celebrate the unseasonably warm Midwest weather, and enjoy this refreshing dish.
School: Breithaupt Career and Technical Center
Rio Chicken Wrap (serves four)
- 8 ounces diced chicken, fully cooked
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 leaves Romaine lettuce
- 1 tomato
- 1 cucumber
- ¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 4 9-inch whole grain tortillas
- 1 cup low fat vanilla yogurt
- Toss chicken, black pepper, red pepper and lemon juice together in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, wash and dry lettuce, tomato and cucumber. Shred lettuce then slice tomato and cucumber. Toss together and set aside.
- Lay each tortilla on a plate. Spread ¼ cup of yogurt evenly on each tortilla. Place ¼ of the chicken mixture along center of each tortilla then top with ¼ of the lettuce mixture.
- Fold in three sides of one tortilla then roll toward remaining side to make a burrito shape. Cut in half. Repeat process with the remaining three tortillas.
- Serve chilled and enjoy!