Friday Recipe for Hot Summer Days: Watermelon Gazpacho
June 26, 2009
This post is part of our Friday-morning series on fun, healthy recipes. Check out other recipe posts here.
With the official first day of summer last weekend, the weather has started to really heat up – and we’re all looking for a quick, refreshing recipe that doesn’t heat up the kitchen any more!
This watermelon gazpacho fits the bill – it’s a cool, easy dish packed with fruits and veggies.
- 6 cups seedless watermelon cubes
- ½ peeled and chopped seedless cucumber
- ½ organic yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup cold raspberry-cranberry juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
In a large food processor, combine 3 cups of the watermelon, the cucumber, bell pepper, scallions, garlic, lime or lemon juice, oil and pepper sauce. Process with short pulses until the mixture is just finely chopped. (Be sure not to puree the ingredients or you’ll end up with a smoothie instead!) Add the remaining watermelon, raspberry-cranberry juice, and mint. Process with pulses until just finely chopped.
Makes 8 servings.
From Fresh Choices: Easy Recipes for Pure Food When You Can’t Buy 100% Organic by HSC founding executive director Rochelle Davis