Winning Cookie Recipe from Cooking up Change 2010 : Thyme-Scented Lemon Cookies
November 24, 2010
Each year at Cooking up Change, there's one especially sweet prize. Each team of students creates a unique, healthy cookie and, throughout the gala event, they present trays of treats for guests to sample. The audience votes, then we count the ballots and announce the winner at the end of the event! This year, Simeon Career Academy wowed us with their Thyme-Scented Lemon Cookies and won the coveted cookie prize.
Thanks, Simeon students, for sharing this amazing recipe with us!
Thyme-Scented Lemon Cookies
Created by the Simeon Career Academy Cooking up Change team
Yield: about 50 small cookies
4 oz butter
1 3/4 cups sugar
Zest of 2 lemons – minced
2 teaspoons lemon oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 whole eggs
3 cups all purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon baking powder
5 teaspoons dried thyme or 2 tablespoons fresh (optional)
Juice of 2 lemons
2 cups powdered sugar
1. Combine the flours, salt, baking powder and thyme in a bowl. Set aside.
2. Cream butter and sugar in an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment for about two minutes on medium speed. Scrape down bowl.
3. On low speed, add eggs two at a time, until well combined. Scrape down bowl.
4. Add the lemon zest, lemon oil, and vanilla until just combined. Scrape down bowl.
5. With mixer on low speed, gradually add the dry ingredients.
6. Mix until moistened and just combined. Do not overmix!
7. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls on sheet pans lined with parchment.
8. Bake at 350 degrees F for 8-10 minutes, or until very lightly browned and tops are set.
9. Let the cookies rest for another 10 minutes before moving them off of the parchment (preferably to a cooling rack).
10. Meanwhile, for the icing, juice the lemons and strain out the seeds. Add enough powdered sugar to desired consistency (probably less than 2 cups). Ice the cookies and allow icing to set before storing in an airtight container.
Students: Devon Bussell, Jasmine Cook, Justin Love, Aireal Mays, Olivia Smith, Raven Warford
Instructor: Loretta Johnson
Team Mentor: Guy Dansereau, Greater Chicago Food Depository
Learn more about this year's Cooking up Change, here.